Thursday, October 02, 2008

Vida Local: Spaghetti Sauce!

I made spaghetti sauce last night with the carrots and plum tomatoes I got at Brooksby Farm Tuesday (see previous post). I'm too impulsive to follow recipes in a book so I made this up on the fly and it came out better than I had hoped for! All you need is a blender, a big skillet or heavy bottom sauce pan and an appetite.

Ingredients:

5 or 6 plum tomatoes
2 or 3 carrots, peeled
3 cloves garlic peeled
1 TBS olive oil
fresh basil
oregano
1 can tomato paste
1 cup of vegetarian "crumbles" (I used Morning Star Farms)

Directions

Chop the carrots and tomatoes into medium size chunks and reserve about a cup of the tomato pieces for the sauce. Place the rest of the tomatoes and the carrots in a blender with the garlic cloves. Chop until you have a puree.

Heat the oil in the pan and add the crumbles. Stir until browned and cooked. Add the puree and the chopped tomatoes and a pinch of basil and oregano. Add the can of tomato paste and about a 1/2 can of water. Lower the heat and cook, stirring occasionally while you cook the pasta.

Total cooking time, about 1/2 hour. Makes about 4 adult servings.


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: