Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Perfect Saturday

Daddy had to work, so I took the Chloemeister out for a walk around town. I had gotten an e-mail from Salem Sounds about a blues jam that would be happening from 2 to 4 as part of the Second Saturdays in Salem program and it was the Essex St. Fair as well so you can't say there was nothing to do.

The street fair was crazy. Lots of tables selling the kinds of trinkets and knickknacks that you get used to in this town. I don't think I've ever seen a place where you can buy a pentagram necklace and a figurine of a witch riding a broomstick in a garter belt along with your Sunday paper.

The blues jam was reverberating throughout the walkway between Essex and Front St. It made a little ampitheater and the band was playing to a crowd spread out on the steps in front of the old town hall. A lot of great covers and the singer's voice was a good match for the two-guitar, two bass and drums line-up. I had to take refuge in the alley behind Cafe Graziani for the sake of the baby's eardrums, but the sound was still pretty good.
Band: Vocals: Sarah Seminski & Helen Watson-Felt Guitars: Jon & Eric Reardon Bass: Bob Hamel & Doug Blake Drums: Mike Stewart

After the concert, I started working my way up and down Essex St. for a long-putoff project of doing a Squidoo lens about Salem. Every time I go out, I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of witchcrafty and trinket stores in this town, and I think putting a page on pinonthemap.com might help me to sort it out a little. Stay tuned!

Later on we went to Bangkok Paradise and met up with our friend Rich. There was a pretty good ska funk band playing in the main room. We locked the stroller up to a signpost outside and sat in the window to shield Chloe from the sonic blast of drum/bass/vocals+Bangkok Paradise bar crowd. The BP further sealed its status as the Kowloon of the North Shore and I had the tofu and tamarind sauce which was amazing. I actually cleaned my plate, post-baby diet be damned.




Share/Bookmark

0 comments: