Tuesday, July 18, 2006

MBTA ROLLS OUT NEW SAUNA CARS

Got to North Station in plenty of time to catch the 5:55pm train but it was delayed as usual so we waited all jammed up in the vestibule, I mean, station. The train finally showed up on track 6 and there was a mad rush to get on. I stepped into the nearest car and began the long trek up the aisles of the different cars trying to find a seat that wasn't already taken up with either an obese perspiring office worker or an overworked yuppie hammering away on a laptop. Finally I reached a car with lots of empty rows but when I stepped into it, I could tell why.
There should have been a pile of white towels by the door and a ladle for pouring water onto hot stones. The car had been traveling back and forth all day in the hot sun and it felt like a schvitz on wheels. Still, I took a seat and sat there fanning myself for the entire ride with one of those flyers for a mcCollege that promised degrees in fields that would be really depressing, like law enforcement. I reasoned that at least when I finally got off the train, the air would feel that much cooler in comparison to the air in the car. Also, the conductor never came around to take tickets because he probably didn't want to listen to everyone bitch so I got a free ride. AGAIN.


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: