Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Getting There is ALL the fun.


Today I turn 37 and to cheer me up, Chris said he could use one of his 10 Ride ferry tickets to get me on the ferry to Boston. We dropped Chloe off at my mom's in Beverly and then raced back to Salem for the 7am departure. Derby St. is a one way where the ferry docks, so it was a few frantic, French Connection-like minutes before we found a street that would get us pointed the right way on Derby and we screeched to a halt in the parking lot with 2 minutes to spare.
It's definitely a big improvement on taking the train. The pilot yelled at us to slow down as we raced for the dock. As we ascended the stairs to the top deck with coffee purchased at the snack counter, blithely tuning out the mumbled announcement (something about life jackets, whatever), and settled into a bench, I was already sold. Unlike sitting in an un-airconditioned commuter-rail car crammed up against fellow cranky commuters, it is really hard not to feel good when you are flying along the open seas with the wind whipping your hair around. (Mental note, bring a jacket next time) As we raced by Marblehead, then Lynn, Nahant and Revere I kept running around the deck like a complete tourist, taking pictures. (I wish I could post more right now, but Microsoft's Windows XP imaging doesn't let you rotate photos(!) and I took a lot of portrait ratio ones) We landed at 7:50 on the dot right next to the seal tank at the New England Aquarium, surprising a couple of trustafarians communing with the seals.
All said, it was well worth the extra dough and nothing beats going to work with salt spray in your hair on a beautiful summer's day.

More photos soon, I promise.


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: