Thursday, September 25, 2008

Livin' la vida local: Part 1

I think I'd much rather be doing other things besides running all over the North Shore in search of that perfect bunch of fresh kale that just came out of the ground. I would like to eat something a little fresher than that bagged spinach you get from the grocery chain store that goes bad after 2 days in the fridge. When I started looking into the idea of buying locally grown produce, I realized I had stumbled into a netherworld of farmstands, markets and co-ops that were obscure and all but impossible to compare. So for the next month, I'm going to be your personal guinea pig and attempt to check out a variety of local venues for buying home grown vegetables and fruits.

The first step was to try and get beyond those occasional trips to Russell Orchards to buy raspberry wine and cider donuts. I decided that in order for the idea of buying local produce to be practical, it had to be less than a twenty minute drive away so that the high cost of gas wouldn't counter-balance any money saved by buying direct from the farmers or picking my own stuff.

Here's my map, which is a work in progress, but at least it should guide one through the maze of information out there.

CommunityWalk Map - Local Food around Salem


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: