Friday, May 04, 2007

Making Google Cry Uncle.

I just did a search for “Harry Potter” on Google and I think I broke their hard drives. At any rate, the browser window seized up for about 3 minutes and then shut down with a faint whimpering noise.

No, I haven’t been living under a rock for the past 10 years, I’ve just been ignoring most of the hype.
But then my father was talking about the books and how they were more involved than the films and I was intrigued. After all, this was the guy who gave me“The Chronicles of Narnia”
(author’s note, take the quiz on this site to find out if you are a bigger geek than me!)
for Christmas when I was 7 and had original hardcovers of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy laying around the house.
. And then Salem, originally just a town I had moved to for spatial-economic reasons, hosted a Harry Potter convention
complete with a Quidditch tournament, played in true Hogwarts style: in the pouring rain. I started noticing people walking around Essex St. wearing cloaks and pointed hats like it was no big thing.
So now that I’m already on “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”, when I walk around downtown, it’s unsettlingly like visiting Hogsmeade.
You’ve got your magic shop , your corner tavern, and you can take your pick from the dozens of stores selling anything from broomsticks to dragon figurines. Judging from the frequent sightings of people in capes and robes, (usually worn over an XXXL tiedyed ensemble), a lot of other people think so too. It’s fun to watch, but I’m like one of those people who live in NYC their whole lives and never go to the Statue of Liberty. It just isn’t done. If someone asks, though, I can tell them where to find a good deal on a crystal ball or where to find an ounce of wolf’s fur.


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: